Sunday, May 17, 2015

What's Left Behind

An odd email showed up the other day announcing an auction of the worldly belongings of actor-singer Davy Jones, most noted for being one of the Monkees and, before that, a Tony-nominated star of Broadway and London's West End.

Puzzled, I browsed through the items to be sold at auction, guessing that I had ended up on this email list because I have been invited to speak at a Celebration of Life in New York City next month for the actor who died in 2012.

What amazed me as I scrolled through 16 online pages of items: how much we all accumulate over a lifetime; how some things one treasures -- awards, for example -- are marked for sale by family members for those with enough celebrity to attract buyers and for the trash bin for those of us who are not famous; how some things that are so critically important to us in life -- a passport, a driver's license -- become throwaways or objects of curiosity after we are gone. I was amazed at the hundreds of dollars being offered for his ordinary belongings -- shoes, nightshirts, credit cards -- and how, whether our belongings are sold at auction, given to charity or destined for the trash bin, what was once important in life becomes so meaningless once we are gone.

                                               






While it's great that this auction is raising money for Davy Jones' family or favorite charity and while it's nice that fans and collectors are happy to bid on items both ordinary and extraordinary from his life, this oh-so-final unraveling of a vibrant, very public life is a jarring reminder of our own mortality.  What was once treasured, what was once needed, what was once private is for sale to the highest bidder. This final ritual will come to all of us -- though undoubtedly in less public ways. Our spouses, our children, our siblings will sort through our suddenly useless items and decide what to keep and what to give or throw away.

It made me want to spare my family some decisions by cleaning out and organizing the keepsakes stashed in our garage and tucked away in closets. It made me wonder what I might already live without and what I might give away. It made me imagine what those I love might end up cherishing.

I thought about the curious relics from my parents, grandmother and Aunt Molly now in my home, my garage and my closets: the slinky black dress with sequined roses on the bodice that my father gave my mother in 1940 when they were dating and a box of the cards and letters they sent each other when their love was new and untested; my mother's scrapbook of her wonderful pre-marriage career; crystal dishes my grandmother used and treasured that have sat, gathering dust, in my china cabinet for more than 40 years; a plastic parrot alarm clock that made Aunt Molly laugh so heartily and that makes me smile at the memory.

It also reminds me that objects don't have nearly the power of warm memories: of my father's stories, my mother's loving embrace, my grandmother's unconditional love, Aunt Molly's laugh and sterling example of a life well lived. 

And then there are the memories of a wonderfully talented actor named Davy Jones whose unforgettable performances on stage and television thrilled a generation of young people now growing old..... and whose great kindness and compassion beyond the spotlight, when no one was looking, comprise his most enduring legacy.

14 comments:

  1. You're speaking at his Celebration of Life? How did that come to pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe that it is because of a blog post? On March 1, 2012, the day after his death, I wrote a post remembering my very first reporting class final interview when I was a college student. It was tremulous, tearful and with Davy Jones, who was then a teenage Broadway star and who was wonderfully kind to me and helped me start to overcome my shyness with interviews. Many years later, we happened to be the guests on a t.v. talk show and I was able to thank him for his kindness and, again, he was very gracious. Some people very close to him saw that blog post and loved it and, when planning a Broadway tribute to him that is focusing more on his pre-Monkee career and his personal life and attributes, decided to ask me to come and tell the story of my two encounters with him because they felt that my blog post really captured his kind and compassionate essence.

      Delete
    2. What a privilege, Kathy, to be felt by the family to have understood him and to be chosen to speak about it. They must be glad to have found your post.

      Delete
  2. Your post is very timely for me -- having just been going through with my sisters, my mother's cherished belongings. Over the past few years I went through many things with my mother and I was able to choose with her the most important and meaningful mementos. And now as I approach my 70th birthday, I think more and more about what I have that I want to pass on to others. Some of the items you have shown of Davey Jones are so intimate that it seems a shame to think that they are 'up for the highest bidder'. But then I suppose another way to look at it is that it will a kind of memorial for someone who appreciated Davey in a special way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that you were able to go over your mother's cherished belongings with her! It's quite a rite of passage to be going through your mother's things with your siblings, isn't it? I think there IS something about turning 70 -- which I just did -- that makes one ever more aware of one's mortality. I'm boxing up some of Aunt Molly's cherished items to pass on to my brother when I see him this summer.

      Delete
  3. I was a fan of that particular Monkey. You bring up such a good point. I really need to go through my so called "keepsakes" and do some purging out of respect to my next of kin. You are so right. What we hold dear will be someone else's junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? I'm trying to convince myself to part with some items I'm sure no one else will value quite the way I do and to pass some cherished family items to my younger siblings and kids of cousins sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  4. This reminds me of an estate sale I went to last year. I can't remember if I did a blog post about it. I may have refrained, since it was a family I knew. The estate agent said the family had taken three big vans/truckloads of things from the house and knew what was being sold, but it broke my heart to see "Congratulations on the birth of Bradley" cards, wedding photos (probably duplicates but still...) and old family photos. Themes and tests from elementary and high school, all sorts of things. These were things not of a famous person, like Davy Jones, with street marketability for a fan but leftovers of a life. And then, like you, I think -- what happens when I'm the deceased.

    I had that feeling again at another estate sale last week -- and I AM going to blog on that one. While the first made me sad, the second sale scared the heck out of me!

    So, I'm trying to think what the kids might like, my cousins and their kids (for the old family stuff); get things I no longer like or use or want to Goodwill, that sort of thing. But oh, it's a huge job...

    This post is so thought provoking and again, it reminds me to clean it up. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda sad I think---but maybe it will bring some money to the family and/or a charity of some kind... BUT--it's just STUFF.... You are right! I also need to go through some of my 'stuff' ---and get rid of things BEFORE I die. I'd hate to leave all of that stuff for my family --since most of the 'stuff' would not be anything my sons would want.....

    I often wonder who in my family would want my china and crystal --since young people today don't have much of an interest in things like that... I also wonder who would want my photos/my journals/my Family History, etc... I hope that someone in my family would want those things, but who knows....

    This post certainly made me THINK.... Thanks.
    Hugs
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely.

    I look at the behavior of the people "ahead" of me, in terms of age, and am aware of what I've seen in them and what I now see in myself; and I wonder, when will the desire to give away, to sort and categorize, come?

    Thank you for another thoughtful post.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been trying to downsize and declutter for the past three years, starting when I was 55. In my case it was prompted by seeing my father's life after his severe stroke - he left home one morning and never returned (he was left so impaired he had to go to a nursing home). The job of dealing with all his worldly goods, and his home, fell to me. My mother is elderly and still has a house full of things, which likewise will pass to me to deal with. I don't want my children to have to look after all my "stuff". It's time to redouble my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to go through this when my daughter died. What to keep? What to give away? It is no easy task. It has caused me to think what my children will deal with when it comes to my things.

    Your post is quite interesting in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things like furniture can always be got rid of of but personal things, Paper work,documents, pictures, old records, even things like typewriters and movie cameras, jewelry,post cards, old clothing shoes purses personal art work, diaries, even old shaving stuff, pipes,tobacco cans.......you know, historically they can make a difference as keep sakes. They speak lots about the lives of the people who owned them.
    I tell my kids, keep my stuff. You may not appreciate it but your children will as will their children. You realize this when you come from an era
    where your history/heritage was eradicated by wars and every trace of family destroyed. Everything becomes important as well as to leave a legacy of who you were . My dad left his country place. It was his wish for the grand children to inherit and it stands and we pay taxes just to make his wish come true. It was a time when hard work paid off.A home was a home, not real estate to be used for greed. Hopefully the kids will appreciate it especially as life becomes more and more expensive to live. Today we have a throw away society and this is not a good thing.
    These remnants of the past help to reflect the true values of what life is and should be all about. Family. Good or bad.... it is your heritage to be built on and improved and remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had to do the same sorting and disposing when my parents died, but somehow they hadn't accumulated so very much in their long marriage and my sisters and I between us kept almost all of their things. However I'm married to a bit of a hoarder and so I'm gradually trying to persuade him to sort out his stuff and only keep what he needs as I don't want our children to have to deal with it all when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete