Friday, August 8, 2014

In Honor of World Cat Day....


World Cat Day???

I had no idea that there was such a day until my friend Tim Schellhardt, a veteran journalist who keeps up on all the news as it is breaking, sent me a link this morning saying that newspapers around the world are featuring cats on their front pages because today is, indeed, World Cat Day.

In honor of this global celebration of everything feline, I'd like to share a short video I made recently to help promote my upcoming book PURR THERAPY:WHAT TIMMY AND MARINA TAUGHT ME ABOUT LIFE, LOVE AND LOSS, which will be published by HCI Books on October 7.

The book is a memoir about my years as a psychotherapist, about the unexpected blessings we find in life and, most of all, about the two cats -- Timmy and Marina -- who worked with me from time to time in my private psychotherapy practice to comfort and calm patients who asked for their help. These two extraordinary cats taught me important and lasting lessons along the way, leaving a legacy of love.

Both Timmy and Marina died unexpectedly and tragically young, like angels lent for just a brief time. As you will see, my three surviving cats have their moments of being wonderfully therapeutic -- or not -- at home. And Hammie may even have potential as a real therapy cat.

Here's a sneak peak at the video introducing the cats of PURR THERAPY.

Happy World Cat Day!


10 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this! Just got home from traveling and saw your email, but then your blog came up with World Cat Day so here I am! World Cat Day? Who knew? I just gave Lizzie a big kiss and a pet! And she's doing her purr therapy thing back!

    So glad all is going well with the book. Is it available in non-electronic form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be available as a trade paperback on October 7 and Amazon and HCI are taking pre-orders. So glad you liked the video, Jeannie! It was fun to make and the cats co-operated. Sweet Pea even bit me right on cue!

      Delete
    2. Dear Kathy, for some reason I couldn't find a place at the end of this posting in which to comment. So I'm using this respond space to cheer you on as you begin to get word out about your wonderful book. As I've heard said, "You go, Girl!" Peace.

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! Congratulations on the new memoir; I'm sure it will touch many hearts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this book has kept me very busy this year so far -- which is why I haven't been blogging nearly as much and have fallen seriously behind on my blog reading and commenting -- all things I hope to remedy soon! Thanks for your good wishes, Rosaria!

      Delete
  3. World Cat Day---hadn't heard about it.. That's neat!!! Cat lovers everywhere should be happy!!!! We do learn so much from our animals, don't we? Your book sounds fantastic... I'm sure it will do well...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of World Cat Day either -- until my friend Tim wrote to me about it. Thanks for your kind words about the book! It's my 15th, but it feels like my first because it's my first memoir and the first I've written with both smiles at warm memories and with tears running down my face. Our animals do teach us important lessons!

      Delete
  4. Oops, had to turn the sound down on the video--- Minnie doesn't know she had an actual "day". I can't let her know. She is such a diva.
    What a sweet video and I am sure the book will be a delight. Will check it out in Oct. I know with cat people outnumbering dog people, it should be a great success. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, we can't let our feline divas get any more entitled, can we? Thanks so much for your kind words and good wishes about the book. I'm really hoping it will do well as it's very close to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed it. I didn't know there was such a day. I love my cat friends. I am not a cat person, but I love that so many of my friends are. They are such interesting creatures.

    ReplyDelete